Saturday 10 December 2011

Series: The 12 Week Countdown

Series: The 12 Week Countdown

Every week for 12 weeks until the dawn of the Year 2012, I am blogging about things to look forward to and things to dread about the coming year. Today there are...

...3 Weeks To 2012: The Queen's Diamond Jubilee

In 2012 the Queen celebrates her 60th year as head of our state. 60 years of waving like she's got a broken wrist. 60 years of opening hospitals. 60 years of reading some tosser's speech on Christmas Day. 60 years of not being amused. Whoopee?

I know it sounds like I've got something against the Royal family, but honestly, I'm simply indifferent to them. They're just a family, with as many dark secrets as every other family (and then some), and probably as many in-jokes that the rest of us just would not get. I appreciate the argument that they bring in tourism money and keep our economy thriving (really? Could have fooled me), but I'm not one for elitism, for bowing and curtseying to someone just because of who they are and what their name is and not because of what they may have done. I also don't know how we manage to call ourselves a multi-cultural society when our head of state is also head of the Church of England.

And so, for these reasons, the Queen celebrating her Diamand Jubilee next year doesn't move me, though I'm sure it will others: I anticipate street parties up and down the country, businesses making a profit off nothing merchandise and (please please please please pleeeaaaaase) another Bank Holiday. That last one is the only thing I'm able to get excited about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment