Sunday 16 October 2011

Series: Countdown To 2012

Crap bucket. I forgot today was Saturday.


Series: The 12 Week Countdown

Every week for 12 weeks until the dawn of the Year 2012, I am blogging about things to look forward to and things to dread about the coming year. Today there are...

...11 Weeks To 2012: Leap Year

This, essentially, means two things:

1.       Someone born a year before me will be turning 6 next year, whilst I will be turning 23. I’m sure most people born on the 29th February still get to celebrate their birthday every year on 1st March, but it will always feel a bit false, won’t it? But next year these guys will get to party like it’s... well, like it’s 2012.

2.       Custom grants me permission to ask someone to marry me. Seeing as I am just a simple-minded female incapable of making such huge decisions independently, this is a job only entrusted to my gender on one day every four years. I think it’s supposed to minimise the damage we women might cause to the world – because leaving the fate of civilisation in the hands of men has always worked a treat, hasn’t it? But this begs the question: Who would I ask to marry me? I only just got divorced in the summer – am I ready for such a huge commitment again? What if I put my trust in another man and he ends up breaking my heart just like the last one did? Or worse, what if he breaks his leg, and has to sit out for the rest of the season, taking precious money out of The Bank of Arsenal all the while doing Sod All on the bench besides biting his fingernails and looking increasingly more like a Lady Boy every weekend? Señior Fabregas, you have inflicted upon me some clichéd trust issues. I will never forgive you.
 
So I can’t decide if having a leap year will be a thing to look forward to or a thing to dread. I guess it depends on where you stand: in the Woohoo I’m turning 6 next year! Club, or the Men dazzle you with their ball skills, score a couple of times and then sod off. They can’t be trusted!!!! Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment