Wednesday 20 July 2011

Double, double, toil and trouble...

I stood in my garden last night, shaking a box of cereal and calling out, "Teary! Teeeeaaaary!"

I should probably explain a few things.

1) One of my cats is called Neytiri - y'know, after the avatar? Over time, her name has been shortened to Teary, or Tears. Bizarrely, she responds to it, especially when you say it in a soft, high-pitched voice.

2) Her brother, Boodles (full name Snuggle Boodles), is a greedy cat-pig who can't go more than a couple of hours without demanding food; if food is not presented to him when he sees fit, he takes it upon himself to climb up onto the kitchen surfaces to hunt for leftover dinner. If there is no leftover dinner, he opens the kitchen door (yes, by himself; he reminds me of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, terrorising the kids in the kitchen) and wanders about the house looking fed up.

3) Both cats have to eat at the same time, otherwise Boodles will eat everything, and Neytiri will starve.

4) Neytiri likes to stay out late, waaaaaay past her curfew. Kids today, eh?

5) Shaking a box of cereal sounds somewhat similar to shaking a box of cat food, and is a more effective way of telling a cat that it's suppertime than shaking a pouch of cat food, which makes almost no sound at all.

So now you can probably imagine just why I was standing in my garden, shaking a box of cereal and calling out "Teeeeaaaaary!" Unfortunately, my neighbours will never know, and will probably assume that I am some kind of witch, out chanting at the moon late and night and summoning the devil of Coco Pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment