Monday 22 November 2010

Stop

I nearly got run over today.

 
Some idiot in a gas-guzzling 4x4 ran a red light. (I can say with some conviction that they are in fact an idiot because 1) They ran a red light, and 2) People who drive gas-guzzling 4x4s, unless they have something like a million kids, are idiots. No offence if you drive a 4x4... Much.) I was just about to put my foot out into the road when it came screaming past, out of nowhere. If I was a nicer person I might make my excuses for them and say that maybe the driver had a passenger with a stab wound, dying in the back seat, and that it was absolutely crucial that they run that red light and get to the hospital as soon as possible, because if they didn’t said passenger would surely die. But no. I highly doubt that was the case, for these four reasons:

 
  1. They were driving a gas-guzzling 4x4, and as already mentioned, people in gas-guzzling 4x4s are idiots. Thus, I reckon, this red-light-running was just another example of their idiocy;
  2. The hospital was in the other direction;
  3. Running that red light may well have saved the life of the wounded passenger in the backseat, but would have instead inflicted another fatal casualty (i.e. me). I mean, there’s always the possibility that that is what they had hoped, because I know I can be quite annoying sometimes, but murder is a little extreme, and finally
  4. Lots of people around here like to think Gran Turismo is cool. They also tend to think that walking down the road like an 80-year-old with arthritis and a broom shoved up their arse is cool. It is not.

 
Unfortunately there are no cameras on the lights around here, so Mr or Ms Vroom Vroom Vroom will yet see many more red lights... in a sort of blurry, blink-and-you-miss-it kinda way.

No comments:

Post a Comment