Thursday 24 January 2013

Pink!

I probably seem like a massive cliché: angry man-hating* woman who listens excessively to angry man-hating music. I don't mind people thinking that's what I am. If that's all they're prepared to see, then they can think what they like, and if that's all you're prepared to see, you can skip this post.

Though most of the music in my iTunes falls under the genre of R&B (a great deal of this being from the 90s), my most consistently listened-to artist is P!nk. Most people roll their eyes at me when I hark on about her, but I like to believe that this is because they've only heard the radio-friendly breakup anthems. In the same way that so many people roll their eyes at hip-hop lovers because they think all rap music is full of swearing, the promotion of gang culture and objectification of women (and a lot of it is; a lot of the mainstream stuff, anyway), sometimes you have to look beyond what you hear on the radio to find something worth listening to. And so, I present to you below some of my favourite P!nk lyrics. (I was going to diarrhoea them all over my Twitter feed, but didn't think that my followers would appreciate it.)

Warning: Some lyrics may be triggering.

Don't assume coz I'm a woman that I'll fall in love, don't expect I'm young and need to be took care of. - Stop Falling

Hey hey man, what's your problem? I see you're tryna hurt me bad, don't know what you're up against... Coz you know I'm not that kind of girl that'll lay there and let you cum first... Don't let him pull you by the skirt. - 18 Wheeler

I'm an opportunity, and I knock so softly...So many players, you'd think I was a board game... I drank your poison coz you told me it's wine. Shame on you if you fool me once, shame on me if you fool me twice... So what good am I to you if I can't be broken? - Eventually

And oh I've been down this road before, where the passion, it turns into pain. And each time I saw love walk out the door, I swore I'd never get caught up again. - Misery

Lying awake, watching the sunlight, how the birds will sing as I count the rings around my eyes. - Lonely Girl

But what's the point of this armour if it keeps the love away too? I'd rather bleed with cuts of love than live without any scars. - Love Song

Why can't I just love myself enough? Instead of looking outside for what I should have inside. I wanna live in a world with no mirrors, no sizes, no consequence and no prizes. No past, no future, no ages, no losers, no hate, no desire, no fate... I wish I didn't depend on your love, I wish I loved myself enough. - Free

What happened to the dream of the girl President? She's dancing in the video next to 50 Cent... Disasters all around, the world in despair. Your only concern? Will it fuck up my hair? - Stupid Girls

It's gonna take a long time to love, it's gonna take a lot to hold on, it's gonna be a long way to happy... Tryna cover up the damage and pad out all the bruises, too young to know I had it so it didn't hurt to lose it... Now I'm numb as hell and I can't feel a thing, but don't worry 'bout regret or guilt coz I never knew your name. - Long Way To Happy

How can you say no child is left behind? We're not dumb and we're not blind, they're all sitting in your cells while you pave the road to hell. What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away? And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay? - Dear Mr President

There's always cracks, a crack of sunlight, a crack on the mirror, on your lips... We only spun a web to catch ourselves so we weren't left for dead. And I was never looking for approval from anyone but you... Right behind the cigarette and the devilish smile, you're my crack of sunlight... I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain. And just like the changing seasons, I know you'll be back again. - I'm Not Dead

I don't believe Adam and Eve spent every goddamn day together... I don't wanna wake up with another, but I don't wanna always wake up with you either. No you can't hop into my shower, all I ask for is one f**king hour. - Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)

It's just you and your hand tonight. - U + Ur Hand

I'm too young to be taken seriously, but I'm too old to believe all this hypocrisy. And I wonder how long it'll take them to see my bed is made, and I wonder if I was a mistake... Chase the rainbows in my mind and I will try to stay alive. - Runaway

I don't believe in soulmates, happy endings or "the one". Oh and I met you and all that changed, I had a taste and you're still sitting on the tip of my tongue. - The One That Got Away

Just one foot wrong, you'll have to love me when I'm gone. - One Foot Wrong

You used to hold the door for me, now you can't wait to leave. You used to send me flowers if you f**ked up in my dreams... Always sentimental when I think of how it was, when love was sweet and new and we just couldn't get enough. The shower it reminds me you'd undress me with your eyes, and now you never touch me and you tell me that you're tired. You know it gets so sad when it all goes bad, and all you think about is all the fun you've had... We opened up the wine and we just let it breathe, but we should've drank it down while it was still sweet. It all goes bad eventually. - Mean

I conjure up the thought of being gone, but I'd probably even do that wrong. - It's All Your Fault

Where does everybody go when they go? They go so fast I don't think they know. We hate so fast and we love too slow... Broken hearts all around the spot, I can't help thinking that we lost the plot, suicide bomber and a student shot... But for that they've got a pill, if that don't kill you then the side-effects will, if we don't kill each other then the side-effects will. - Ave Mary A

Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone? Your whole life waiting on the ring to prove you're not alone... Have you ever wished for an endless night? Lassoed the moon and the stars and pulled that rope tight? - Glitter In The Air

Life is just a little part of what this world will do, to get its point across it beats you till you're black and blue... And all my friends have asked the question "Baby, will you be OK?" I wanna tell them yes coz I know that's what I should say. But I've got no crystal ball and I can't bring myself to lie and why should I?... Life is just a little part of what this world will do, it brings you to the brink, it beats the shit right out of you. - When You're Through You're Through

You're so mean when you talk about yourself, you are wrong. Change the voices in your head, make them like you instead. - F**kin' Perfect

Four: that's how many years it took me to get through the lesson that I had to do it all on my own. Three: that's how many Hail Marys they would pray for me, thinking I was gonna end up all alone. Two for second chances that you've given me, can it be lucky me... One: is what we are. - Are We All We Are?

At the same time I wanna hug you, I wanna wrap my hands around your neck. - True Love

And they think we fall in love, but that's not it. Just wanna get some... You don't win a prize with your googly eyes, I'm not a crackerjack, you can't go inside, unless I let you jack- haha Sam, oh f**k what's your name again? - Slut Like You

The truth about love comes at 3a.m., you wake up f**ked up and you grab a pen... The truth about love is it comes and it goes, a strange fascination, it is lips on toes. Morning breath, bedroom eyes on a smiling face, sheet marks, rug burn and a sugar glaze. A shock and the awe that can eat you raw. Is this the truth about love?... The truth about love is it's nasty and salty, it's the regret in the morning, it's the smelling of armpits. It's wings and songs, and trees and birds, it's all the poetry that you ever heard. Terror coup d'etat lifeline forget-me-nots, it's the hunt and the kill, the schemes and the plots. The truth about love is it's blood and it's guts, pure breds and mutts, sandwiches without the crust. It takes your breath and it leaves a scar, but those untouched never got... very far. It's rage and it's hate, and a sick twist of fate... Oh and you can lose your breath and oh you can shoot a gun, convinced you're the only one who's ever felt this way before. It hurts inside the hurt within and it folds together packet thin and it's whispered by the angels' lips and it can turn you into a son of a bitch. - The Truth About Love

The passion and the pain is gonna keep you alive someday. - The Great Escape

How do I keep you into me... without faking it too? - Is This Thing On?

Your anger's like a razorblade, it's just too bloody real... I don't feel like calming down, no I don't. I don't feel like hiding out, so I won't. I can't turn the volume down, so I sit here in this chaos and piss, watching the storm passing... I'm a willow tree and you can't blow me over, and my roots go deep in anger and I wanna feel the wind as it whips me like a prisoner. - Chaos & Piss

It's only love, give it away. You'll probably get it back again... Oh fuck it, have everything. - Timebomb

Unlike your anatomy, I'm glad I had it in me. - The King Is Dead But The Queen Is Alive


* I'm not always angry, and I don't hate men. Not all of them, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment